They have said for centuries that Chicken soup is nature’s antibiotic. I always think of my mother when I make this soul food. It was always a staple in our home when I was growing up. As the weather gets cooler, it is the perfect time to whip up this delicious chicken soup recipe.
You will need:
- 7 ltr and cover
- 1 whole organic chicken (or the best you can afford)
- 3 or 4 chicken drumsticks or chicken bones.
- 4 large carrots
- 6 sticks of celery ( 3 with leaves )
- 2 large onions
- 2 Chicken stock cubes
- 1 lemon
- Continental Parsley
- Salt and pepper
1. Place chicken, whole onion, 2 carrots, 3 sticks of celery with leaves and stock cubes into the 7 ltr. Cover with water.
2. Turn heat to medium high. When the tone sounds turns to low and cook slowly until the chicken falls apart.
3. Remove chicken and discard vegetables and strain if need be until you are left with the liquid.
4. Chop the remaining raw onion, carrots and celery and add to the liquid. Cook until tender while you remove the meat from the chicken.
5. Add the meat to the broth. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and parsley.
Option is to also add vermicelli noodles or a handful of rice to the broth.