Simple Slow Cooked Beef Ragu
You Will Need
7 Litre & Cover
4 Litre & Cover
1 kg Chuck or Gravy Beef cut into 4 equal pieces.
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot finely chopped
- 1 cup celery finely chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic ( optional )
- 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 140 g approx tomato paste
- 1 x 700 g bottle Passata
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 whole chilly
- 3 cups chicken or beef stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Pappardelle or Fettuccine Pasta
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese.
- Heat the 7 litre on a medium to low heat and then add the olive oil.
- Stir in the onion, celery and carrot until translucent. Lower the heat if the onions begin to brown.
- Once soft, add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Increase the heat until the mixture is bubbling gently.
- You may place the lid half on and half off for the first 2 hours.
- Remove the cover and alter the heat if need be continue the cooking and stirring occasionally until the mixture is reduced and the beef tears apart easily with a fork.
- Remove the bay leaves and whole chilly. Salt and Pepper to taste.
Boil the pasta: you must toss some sauce with the pasta before you serve. Top with more sauce and lashings of freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Bon Apetit! Serves 6